Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pee AND Poo on the potty!!!!

WHAT really - did that just happen?!?!
We bought Lyla a special pink potty and have been talking to her about pee and poo over the last month or so. The past few weeks she started pointing to her diaper and saying: pee-pee / poo-poo. When ever she would say pee or poo we would ask her if she wanted to pee/poo on the potty with her response always being "Nooooo"...so we didn't push it and didn't try it.
This evening Lyla and I were sitting in the hallway and she pointed to her diaper and said Poo-Poo. I asked her, "Do you want to poo on your potty?" She answered: "Yeah." Shocked by her answer and not really sure what to do I thought to myself  "Okay then, let's do this." I took her to her special pink potty, took off her diaper and sat her down. Seconds later she stood up...nothing. She sat back down and seconds later stood up again..I looked down and there it was. She peed! I about crapped myself. I gave her a million hugs and High 5's and of course we called daddy and grandma to share the news! I am still shocked! She doesn't have the meaning of poo and pee sorted out yet...but heck it's good start if you ask me! 
BUT what happened next was even more shocking. Every night around 7:00pm we change Lyla into her pj's and diaper.   I asked if she wanted to pee or poo on her potty and I got another "Yeah." So here we go - let's try this again...I walked her to the potty. She sat down and moments later stood up. She POOPED!!! WHAT in the heck! She got another series of High 5's from me and daddy and we called grandma again to share the news!!!
What the heck!!! Is this pure luck - accidental - too good to be true??? What the heck is going on? We are going to continue asking her if she wants to pee or poo on her potty and based on her response go with it. I don't know much about this but I think if we force it that it will soon back fire. So we shall see where this leads.  I fully expect at some point she may lose interest - but nonetheless - this is a milestone. Lyla peed and pooped in the potty tonight!!!

And a shout-out to Josie who spent this past weekend with us.  Lyla spent most of the weekend doing everything her older cousin did...hmmmm I wonder if that has anything to do with Lyla's sudden interest in the potty :):) 

On that note - lots of fabulous pictures coming soon from Memorial Day weekend. 

No comments: